Reading Glasses a Hassle?
Presbyopia, or age-related blurry near vision, is a common, progressive condition that reduces the eye’s ability to focus on near objects and affects nearly half of the U.S. adult population, usually over age 40.
VUITY is a once-daily prescription eye drop that improves near and intermediate vision without impacting distance vision for adults with mild to moderate presbyopia.
VUITY is an optimized formulation of pilocarpine, an established eye care therapeutic, specifically designed to treat age-related blurry near vision. It is delivered with proprietary pHast™ technology, which allows VUITY to rapidly adjust to the physiologic pH of the tear film. This was studied in simulated tear film, and the clinical significance is unknown. VUITY uses the eye’s own ability to reduce pupil size, improving near and intermediate vision while maintaining distance vision.
About the VUITY Clinical Development Program
The FDA approval of VUITY in October 2021 was based on data from two pivotal phase 3 clinical studies, GEMINI 1 and GEMINI 2, which evaluated the efficacy, safety and tolerability of VUITY for the treatment of presbyopia.
- A total of 750 participants aged 40 to 55 years old with presbyopia were randomized in the two studies in a one-to-one ratio to either VUITY or placebo.
- Participants were instructed to administer one drop of VUITY or placebo once daily in each eye.
Both studies met their primary endpoints with a statistically significant proportion of participants treated with VUITY gaining three lines (the ability to read three additional lines on a reading chart) or more in mesopic (in low light), high contrast, binocular Distance Corrected Near Visual Acuity (DCNVA), without losing more than 1 line (5 letters) of Corrected Distance Visual Acuity (CDVA) at day 30, hour 3, versus placebo.
- There were no serious adverse events observed in any participants treated with VUITY in either clinical study. The most common adverse events occurring at a frequency of >5% in participants treated with VUITY were headache and eye redness.
Approved Use and Important Safety Information
VUITY™ (pilocarpine hydrochloride ophthalmic solution) 1.25% is a prescription eye drop used to treat age-related blurry near vision (presbyopia) in adults.
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION
- Do not use VUITY if you are allergic to any of the ingredients.
- Use caution when driving at night or performing hazardous activities in poor lighting.
- Temporary problems when changing focus between near and distant objects may occur. Do not drive or use machinery if vision is not clear.
- Seek immediate medical care if you experience any sudden vision loss.
- If you wear contact lenses, they should be removed prior to VUITY use. Wait 10 minutes after dosing before reinserting contact lenses.
- Do not touch the dropper tip to any surface as this may contaminate the contents.
- If more than one topical eye medication is being used, they must be administered at least 5 minutes apart.
- The most common side effects are headache and eye redness. These are not all the possible side effects of VUITY.
If you are interested in Vuity, the following doctors are prescribing it:
- Dr. Baldwin
- Dr. Boehm
- Dr. Burgett
- Dr. Fenzl
- Dr. Isgrig
- Dr. Kluver
- Dr. Eckhardt
- Dr. Wagle
The material contained in this article is for informational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider.